Yoga is a globally popular form of practice that originated through ancient Indian traditions that are considered extremely beneficial for one’s mind, body and soul. It typically consists of multiple different physical postures coupled with breathing exercises, but that’s not all there is to it. Meditation, more specifically, guided meditation, is an integral part of yoga that is practised by many experts in the form of Yoga Nidra. Yoga Nidra is a form of meditation-induced by a guided meditation that can be described as a state between sleep and complete consciousness. It is the semi-conscious state one experiences right before falling asleep, where you’re almost asleep but not exactly.
The practice of yoga and yoga Nidra has been carried over the years, previously practised on the basis of beliefs, now practised by millions all over the world due to the scientific evidence of its effectiveness. Yoga Nidra, or yogic sleep, is highly beneficial for the mind and body, widely recommended by many experts if you have any mental or physical issues you’re dealing with. Here are 5 of the main benefits of yoga Nidra:
- Improves Cognitive Function: Yoga Nidra helps you achieve a completely relaxed state of mind, freeing your mind of any negative or repetitive thought patterns. It takes that extra load off your head and gives your mind the ability to function better, focus better and more clearly, which in turn increases productivity. It improves your brain’s ability to retain information, think rationally and also improves memory.
- Better Sleep: Sleep problems are extremely common among people of all ages, and yoga Nidra greatly helps with that. Lack of sleep is often a result of stress, among other reasons and yoga Nidra triggers your body’s relaxation response. By achieving that deep sense of calm through yoga Nidra, regular practice will help you have a better sleep schedule and cure insomnia.
- Effective Against Stress and Anxiety: Yoga Nidra has been proven to control the production of stress hormones like cortisol and trigger the release of happy hormones like serotonin and dopamine. This is highly effective against keeping your life stress free but is also known to cure mental health problems like depression and anxiety.
- Better Intrapersonal Connection: Considering how hectic everyday life can be, one hardly ever gets the chance to connect with themselves. Yoga Nidra can give you that daily dose of quiet and peace you need to better connect with your thoughts and feelings, leading to a better understanding of your emotions.
- Reduces Pain: Through life, one easily encounters many types of pain that are either chronic, psychosomatic or a result of physical injuries. Our bodies have their own healing process, and the constant stress tends to interfere with the possess. Yoga Nidra gives your body the time to re-energise, restore, and heal, relieving any chronic pain.
Going by the five biggest benefits of yoga Nidra, among others, this is the perfect way to ensure you lead a healthy lifestyle. Check out cult.fit’s yoga nidra pack to get professional guidance on how to master this asana and reap its advantages.