Ched Evans Cleared of Raping A Girl In Hotel Room

The Chesterfield striker was accused of attacking her in a Premier Inn in Rhuddlan, Denbighshire, on May 30, 2011.

Mr. Evans, 27, was originally found guilty of rape at Crown Court Caernarfon in 2012, but this sentence was overturned in April.

He was found not guilty of the same charge in the Crown Court Cardiff on Friday.

In a statement read on behalf of Mr. Evans after the verdict, the player said: “In the early hours of May 30, 2011, an incident occurred in north Wales that would change my life and the life. other forever that incident did not involve the commission of a crime and today I am overwhelmed with relief that the jury agreed.

“I would like to thank my legal team … for their tireless efforts on my behalf.

“We thank also to my friends and family, especially my fiancee, Natasha, who has chosen, perhaps incredibly, to support me in my darkest hour.

“Although it has now established my innocence, I would like to make it clear that I totally apologize to anyone who may have been affected by the events of the night in question.”

A jury of seven women and five men took just two hours to clean it after a two-week trial.

There were gasps and cries in the public gallery as the verdict was read, with group members Mr Evans breaking down.

then Mr. Evans was discharged from the dock and hugged Miss Massey.

He always denied having sex with the woman while she was too drunk to consent.

He insisted that agreed to “join in” while she was having consensual sex with fellow footballer Clayton McDonald, 27 – who was acquitted of rape in the first trial – after a night out in Rhyl.

His legal team argued the prosecutor was “built around the myth” the plaintiff was too drunk to agree to sex.

According to the indictment, the woman did “not have the freedom or ability to consent.”

Mr. Evans said treated her with a “callous indifference, self-centered essentially indistinguishable from an absolute contempt.”

However, the jury cleared Mr. Evans of the single charge after retiring to deliberate at about 11:40 GMT on Friday.

Mr. Evans was jailed for five years after his original conviction in 2012 before being released in October 2014.

His sentence was referred to the Court of Appeal after a 10-month investigation by the Commission of Criminal Cases Review (CCRC), which found new information that was not raised in the original trial.

Mr. Evans – who was playing for Sheffield United at the time of his conviction – came close to joining the League One side Oldham Athletic in January 2015.

However, the club withdrew the offer after threats to his personal and pressure from sponsors.

He also had an offer to use the training facilities Blades terminated in November 2014 after more than 170,000 people signed a petition against the measure.

Olympic champion Jessica Ennis asked his name be removed from a stand at Bramall Lane if he re-signed by South Yorkshire side and three club patrons resigned.

He signed for Chesterfield in June after his successful appeal conviction.

Chesterfield chief executive Chris Turner said: “Naturally we are delighted with the result, especially for Ched, your family and friends now can move all and focus on football.”.

The Football Association of Wales said he would not comment on the verdict.

Back to top button